A cheap DIY solution to tripod mount problems for my 8x10 camera. So this is my Eastman View no. 1 it's not the most stable camera in a tripod head, it was pre sliding tripod block so it has a static tripod mount point, the rails are a bit thin and not exactly rock solid, usually takes 2 tripods to fully support it. So since the tripod itself is ample I decided to make a platform and mount it directly, in place of the ball head, for maximum support.
What it consists of is a piece of pine 9.25in wide by 4ft cut in twos couple of hinges up front, a shim glued to the underside of the top platform at the front side to keep a gap, a 3/8ths mount post ( I went with one that used screws to mount it for max stability) , and a couple of trunk pressure lifting things (with the hinges in the hardware store). Finished off with some wine colored felt, and a single layer of stain rubbed in. All and all about 40 bucks and a couple hours.
Seen here at full rear extension. You can see the counter sink for the 3/8ths mount post in the middle, it's screwed on this visible side so as to give only a smooth mount surface on the tripod side, so theres no marring of the tripod.
Here you can see the through bolt that mounts to the camera itself, this is what the shim is for to keep the gap.
And it's still stable Alllllllll the way up there ..